Time and Place
Monday-Thursday, June 27-30
9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
at the Head-Royce School in Oakland, CA
Monday-Wednesday, July 25-27
8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
at the Principia School in Saint Louis, MO
I will present a wealth of visual approaches to the teaching of algebra.
Italicized items will be offered in Oakland only.
- Lab Gear manipulatives for basic symbol manipulation
- geoboard lattices for slope and radicals
- a powerful parallel axes representation for functions
- intelligent use of technology
- three distinct visual paths to the quadratic formula
Participants will learn techniques that will allow them to better serve the whole range of students by offering:
- greater access, because of addressing multiple intelligences
- greater challenge, because of expecting multi-dimensional understanding
- greater variety, because of using manipulative and electronic tools
The workshop will be aligned with the Common Core State Standards, both in content and in mathematical practices. However some activities may reach beyond the Standards, either to enhance participants' understanding, or to cover topics you are likely to cover even though they are not in the Standards.
(I am available to offer this workshop or part of it at another time and place -- please get in touch with me.)